Last week, we discussed a variety of precautionary steps to be taken while lifting, pulling, dragging and so on.
Well, this week as promised, here is the conclusion to that article. I hope you find it very useful.
Mopping, Vacuuming, Raking and Shovelling.
When mopping, vacuuming, raking or shoveling make small movements with the implement held close to your body. Avoid extending the implement away from your body.
§ To avoid bending over a sink, a man may shave in the shower.
§ Using a footstool will reduce spinal stress when shaving over a sink.
- Do not bend over the trunk.
2 ways to access a car trunk
- Place a foot on the bumper to reduce lower back strain.
- Use the “golfer’s tilt” and lift one leg to counterbalance bending into the trunk.
Getting In and Out of a Car
- Do not step into a car.
- Sit on the seat and then pull your legs into the car.
- Reverse the process for getting out.
Adjust Your Work Area to Fit You
- Have your chair positioned so that your hips are level or below the level of your knees. You may need to use a foot stool to accomplish this.
- Use a chair with a comfortable and adjustable back support.
- Take frequent breaks to stretch and move about
- Avoid propping your legs up on an ottoman or stool
- Sleeping on your side with your head in a neutral or aligned position is a recommended posture.
- Body pillows or buttresses may help reduce back and neck pain associated with sleeping.
- Do not sleep on your stomach.
- It is a good idea to aerobically exercise for thirty minutes three times per week.
- People who are aerobically fit are less likely to have lower back pain.
- Consult your doctor before beginning any exercise program.
“Remember that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Julius Abanshebe Akpong TMIOSH, MISPON, is a Member of the Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria has published books like, Simplified Chemistry for Senior Secondary 1, The path to Greatness, Reaching the Apex, Atmospheric heavy metals deposition and dispersion in Akpabuyo LGA of Cross River State. He is the publisher of the SuperPsychic Achiever, several HSE articles and bulletins for corporate bodies, international journals and newspapers like Business Insight and is yet to publish his first HSE book; HAZID companion.