Sunday, February 3, 2013

10 Questions with Award Winning International Photographer - Tyna Ezenma


Tyna Ezenma is an award winning International Photographer who has returned to her homeland to give back and contribute to Photography in Nigeria given her acquired skills outside the shores of our country. She lets us into her life as a Mother, Wife and Photographer of course.
“A woman in a man’s world”. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

1.      Tell us about yourself?

Tyna Ezenma is a wife and mother to 4 lovely boys. An artist, an award-winning photographer, who studied photography from Penn Foster career School USA, Digital photography at the New York Institute of photography USA.
A diploma in dressmaking and designs from Penn Foster career school, USA.
A certificate in theatre arts specializing in stagecraft,University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria
She also holds a BA in Visual Arts from the University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria.

2.     What is photography to you?
To me, photography is an art of observation,  it’s about finding  something interesting  in ordinary things, most importantly,  the way I see things. I love playing around with light. Studying light has been one of the difficult challenges I’ve faced in photography.”  A  quick study of my work tells you that this challenge has become one of the  special nuances of my images.
3.     Where have you showcased your works?
Exhibitions:
While in  Korea for a year, my work was featured as part of a group exhibition  in Ulsan,
South Korea,in November of 2007
Artexpo New York 2012
Artmonaco Monaco  2012
ArtexpoFall in Chicago Sept 2012

Any upcoming exhibitions?
Artmonaco in April 25-28 2013 Monaco.
Grand opening of Tyna Ezenma studio in May 2013 in Lagos

Recognitions?
And many have taken note: Several accolades including three international photography awards in the U.S. as well as published works by the International Library of Photography.

Outstanding Achievement in Photography ISP 2008
Nominee for Excellence Awards Art Monaco 2012

4.     How long have u been in d photography business and which of your works is your favourite?
Professionally this is my 5th year.
Every photograph I take is always special to me.

5.     You are in an industry dominated by men what are d challenges you face as a woman?
The awareness of the importance of photography in the African society is so disappointing. Most people here have not come to realize that photography is an Art, and that people actually studied it as a course. As a female African in a profession dominated by men, I have to work extra hard to prove myself relevant, my quest for excellence in this area has certainly been worth the sacrifice.
 
While in South Korea, relevance was not an issue especially when she had her first photography exhibition. 1 was the only female and the only black person in the group; this certainly made the experience special.

As a woman it has been difficult squatting at events to take photographs, but being in the minority has its advantages too.
When you find unique angles with which no other photographer might have thought about you stand out. So the obstacles can become the sole inspiration for finding a niche.
6.     Do you have role models/mentors?
Who inspires Ezenma, you may ask?
There are too many to note here, but celebrity photographer Matthew Jordan Smith has a special meaning to me. “I love his passion and creativity for photography.”

7.     What are you working on at the moment?
Well, I am working on a very special project for my next exhibition in Monaco come April 2013 and Lagos in May 2013

8.    3 things you can't do without and what is style to u?
Perfume, camera and my laptop

To me style is whatever suits your body type and makes you comfortable.
My style is classically chic. I am a woman who loves my life -- I've worked hard to get where I am, and I’m darn proud of it! Looking pulled-together at all times is a priority for me. That's why I rely on classic, simple items that don't require a lot of thought and have timeless style. I do lots of Micheal Kors. He’s my favourite designer

9.     What is your mission?
My mission is to continue to grow and develop as an artist, and  person, using  my photography in art photography genre, as a  medium for inspiration and a means to understand the world. One could deduce that it takes far more than talent or just  passion to make a great photographer. It is about knowing thyself and the impact one wants to make in the world. I have no desire for self-aggrandizement. If you want to know more, just ask.

10.What are your hobbies?
Swimming. Golf, Reading and Chess

See some of her works:




Thanks Tyna
We look forward to your exhibitions in Lagos “of course” and maybe we might just get free tickets to Monaco *Laughs*.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very nice interview. Her photographs are really interesting.

Anonymous said...

True. She's really got the skill

Anonymous said...

Lovely and interesting keep it up

Hotstepper said...

Awesome! I feel like this lady knows what she's doing for real! Double thumbs up to you Tina Ezenma!

Anonymous said...

Congratz hun! See u@ d top! Kip it up! FaErEns

Anonymous said...

She is really good...the way she captures and her interpretation is different and quite unique.

Anonymous said...

A true master at her game, wonderful pictures. I have seen some of her other photographs and they are stunning, keep it up Tina.

Okey

Anonymous said...

See you in Monaco!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, her work is really unique ,she would definitely go places, kudos Tyna. Judy.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Designed by Digilabz and Info-Tech